Sunday, July 17, 2022

Sunday blessings from Lusaka

Dearest friends back home, 

Mungu ni mwema! (God is so good) Where do I even start? It is Sunday evening here and we are finishing a beautiful day spent teaching and worshipping with our fellow Zambian brothers and sisters. We traveled back to the Shimabala village where we taught yesterday and joined in a worship service. When we first arrived to the church there were a few adults and children gathered around. After some time had passed, Pastor Ibrahim led us in hymns as we waited for more people from the village to join us. It is common in Zambia to sing until a crowd forms as it signals to others to come and join for church. Once Pastor Ibrahim had determined there were enough people we started the church service and joined in a confessional liturgy with more hymns. 

With the aid of our translator, Raphael, Todd preached on Ephesians 2. We are all familiar with this chapter because it famously discusses how we are saved by grace through faith. Yet, I saw it come to life in a way I had never seen before through the worship of this congregation. As they sang several songs in their native tongue and danced, the characteristics of a strong and great faith were evident even without understanding the words. A select group of women called the "choir" processed from the entrance of the church to the front where they sang and danced with the biggest smiles, joyful faces, and the most beautiful voices. It was the most pure and humble worship to the Lord glorifying and thanking Him. This truly was the most impactful part of the trip thus far for me. I was so moved that I joined in with the dancing and was soon after joined by several other mission helpers. After service, we passed out candy and bouncy balls for the children to play with and exchanged many hugs, high-fives and smiles. It was remarkable to see the Spirit of the Lord hard at work and to see their joy and love for Jesus. I pray I am blessed enough to return to this village someday. 

Afterwards, we all traveled to a nearby village where my group taught. The children were so eager and excited to hear what we had to say. We finished our evening with our nightly walk to a nearby mall for dinner and then came back for prayer and hymns around the fire. Tonight we were blessed to have Pastor Ibrahim join us and he reminded us of two things: to pray for those back home as they are in turn praying for us and to not grow tired or loose our zeal for teaching throughout these long days. I think it is safe to say that our fervor for teaching was strenghtened after today's worship service. Tomorrow is our last day teaching in Lusaka before we make the voyage to Livingston and I write this with a heart of joy thinking about what seeds can be planted tomorrow.  

Thank you for your continued prayers back home as we plant the seed of the Gospel! Here are two verses heavy on my heart tonight. 

"None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God. Ransom for him-for the redemption of their soul is costly" -Psalm 49:7.

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand" -John 10:27-28.

Lord's blessings to you,
Andrea D'Onofrio 

No comments:

Post a Comment